Public Letter to the President of Sri Lanka & Members of the Constitutional Council against the Hate Speech Statement by Election Commission against the Sinhalese
Posted on March 21st, 2018
The President of Sri Lanka,
In your capacity as Head of State, appointing the Commissioner of Elections on the recommendation of the Constitutional Council, this public letter is to bring to your kind attention a not-so-independent statement by the Elections Commissioner, published by Daily Mirror journalist M S M Ayub on 20 March 2018 titled Most Sinhalese happy about recent riots: EC”. This is a highly derogatory statement against one community abusing the protocols of office and demands a retraction and public apology and the Constitutional Council must launch an investigation into this immediately.
There can be 2 explanations for this publication
- That the Daily Mirror & M S M Ayub featuring the story has misconstrued what the Election Commissioner said.
If so then the Editor & M S M Ayub must tender a public apology and carry an end note on electronic publications and next issue to that effect.
- That the Daily Mirror & M S M Ayub featuring the story has reported exactly what the Election Commissioner said.
If so, then the Election Commission has abused his office violating the notion of ‘independent’ associated with the setting up of the Commission and must tender an apology while action must be taken as it reveals his unsuitability to serve in this post.
As per the article by M S M Ayub, the Election Commissioner has
- Claimed that the majority of the Sinhalese ‘seemed happy’ about the recent attacks on Muslim-owned properties and mosques during the recent riots in Ampara & Kandy. In fact, Ayub quotes the Commissioner the claim that a majority of Sinhalese were against the recent attacks on Muslims is wrong”.
- Not stopping there, the Elections Commissioner goes on to say that the majority of Sinhalese were happy to see the Tamils too being attacked in 1983.
The irony is that the statement of the supposed-to-be ‘independent’ Commissioner of Elections was made at a workshop on ethnic harmony on the theme ‘building Bridges’ held at the SLIDA.
So how has the not-so-independent Elections Commissioner contributed to ethnic harmony by his statement? What is the Bridge he has built as a result of taking his brush & claiming that the majority of Sinhalese were happy that Tamils were attacked in 1983 as well as being happy that Muslims were attacked recently?
An individual making irrational statements can be excused but a person holding public office especially in a Commission set up to be ‘independent’ cannot make personal statements in a public forum and more so not statements that completely denigrates an entire community. To claim majority, it must be over half of the Sinhalese population. What is the evidence he has, to come to the conclusion that majority of Sinhalese were happy? Did he personally speak to over 7.5m Sinhalese to make this claim?
Such irresponsible statements has done great damage to the majority Sinhalese who are at the receiving end of much lies, distortions & well-funded smearing campaigns.
Statements as the one made by the election commissioner gets picked up by the world media and is quoted and republished in reports and used as reference. Was this the real objective?
While the damage has been done the onus is on the President’s Office & the Constitutional Council to hold an impartial inquiry and ensure a public apology and retraction is made to the majority Sinhalese for the damage done by irresponsible hate speech.
People in public office need to be gagged on contributing to hate speech & racism far more than individuals who are not taken seriously and their statements never get the public attention that public officials get when they come out and abuse a community in public.
The Election Commissioner has done great harm to the Sinhala Community by this irresponsible statement.
Shenali D Waduge
How secular is the West?
Posted on March 23rd, 2018
Of late there have been quite a number of know-it-all ‘academics’ ‘political analysts’ dollar earning civil society coming forward promoting the displacement of Buddhism enshrined in Article 9 to be replaced with a ‘secular’ constitution in Sri Lanka. They love to quote extensively how West is secular. If readers were wiser they would look for themselves & discover that a majority of Western nations are not in the least secular though they publicly profess to be so. What also needs to be reiterated that some of these professing to be secular countries have a history of less than 300 years having stolen lands from the indigenous & created a country on Christian ideology. Are those professing ‘secular’ tag for Sri Lanka ignorant of ground realities or are they simply carrying out an agenda on behalf of nations who wish to completely abolish the historical, cultural ethno-religious identity of non-Christian countries.
- The British monarch is not only the Head of State but also the head of the Anglican church,
- Queen is Supreme Governor of the Church of England and ‘Defender of the Faith’
- The National Anthem of Britain starts with ‘God save the Queen’
- The Head of State CANNOT marry a Roman Catholic
- The place of Church of England has been secured since 1707 Treaty of the Union – Church of England was founded in 1534, quite a long time before Scotland, England and Ireland came to share the same monarch in 1603
- Celebration of 5th November/Guy Fawkes night
- Senior Anglican bishops sit in the upper chamber of the Parliament by right
- Legal traditions also enable the right of Church of England bishops to attend the House of Lords.
- The Royal Coat of Arms used by the monarch contains Latin phrases meaning “God and my right” and “Shamed be he who thinks ill of it”.
- When taking oaths, the monarch places hand on Bible and pledges solemn oath to God
- In a 1649 case, an English court declared that ‘the law of England is the law of God’ and ‘the law of God is the law of England.’
- Former British PM David Cameron said ‘we are still a Christian country’,
- “In God We Trust” is the official motto of the United States of America
- “In God We Trust” first appeared on the two-cent piece in 1864 and has appeared on paper currency since 1957. President Dwight Eisenhower on July 30, 1956, declared “In God We Trust” must appear on American currency.
- The Declaration of Independence refers to God
- Preamble to US Constitution – In the name of the most holy and undivided Trinity”
- United States Code contained 68 mentions of “God.” 46 of these references were in shipping and environmental codes
- United States coins shall have the inscription ‘In God We Trust.’
- “An individual, except the President, elected or appointed to an office of honor or profit in the civil service or uniformed services, shall take the following oath, ‘I, …So help me God.’”
- “Each person enlisting in an armed force shall take the following oath:
- “…So help me God.’”
- “Each person enlisting in the National Guard shall sign an enlistment contract and subscribe to the following oath:
- ‘…So help me God.”
- Boy Scouts oath of allegiance to God and country…”
- “Each justice or judge of the United States shall take the following oath or affirm before performing the duties of his office: ‘I, _______, do solemnly swear (or affirm),…So help me God.’”
- I will support the Constitution of the United States, and that I will conduct myself, as an attorney and counselor of this Court, uprightly and according to law. So help me God.’”
- The applicant shall be admitted either (A) upon oral motion by a members of the bar of this court or of the Supreme Court of the United States, before a judge of this court who will administer the following oath: ‘I, ______, do solemnly swear (or affirm)…so help me God.’”
- “The President shall issue each year a proclamation designating the first Thursday in May as a National Day of Prayer on which the people of the United States may turn to God in prayer and meditation at churches, in groups, and as individuals.”
- “The Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag: ‘I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.’, should be rendered by standing at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart.” [First effective without phrase “under God” as of June 22, 1942.
- If US is Secular why is only Christmas a Federal holiday?
Where the Constitutions of countries mention God
- Christian ideology penetrates both the legal and governmental customs
- The Constitution of Australia Bill was passed by the Imperial (British) Parliament on 5 July 1900. Sir John Downer, declared: ‘The Commonwealth of Australia will be, from its first stage, a Christian Commonwealth’.
- Sir Henry Parkes, known as ‘the Father of Australia’s Federation’, believed that Christianity comprised an ‘essential part’ of Australia’s common law. Sir Henry stated: ‘We are pre- eminently a Christian people—as our laws, our whole system of jurisprudence, our Constitution… are based upon and interwoven with our Christian belief.’
- Religion is still taught in Australia’s public schools, and the Bible is still present in every court of the land. Furthermore, prayers are conducted prior to opening proceedings at both state and federal Parliaments.
- Speaker concludes the opening proceedings with this prayer: Almighty God, we humbly beseech Thee to vouchsafe Thy blessing upon this Parliament. Direct and prosper our deliberations to the advancement of Thy glory, and the true welfare of the people of Australia.
- “Whereas the people of New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Queensland, and Tasmania, humbly relying on the blessing of Almighty God, have agreed to unite in one indissoluble Federal Commonwealth under the Crown … Be it therefore enacted … as follows:”
- Irish constitution preamble has an invocation to God & Jesus
- preamble to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms also mentions God Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law”
- Royal Anthem of Canada remains ‘God Save the Queen’
- Christian holidays are generally state holidays.
- The Preamble to the Basic Law of the Federal Republic of Germany begins with the words: Aware of its responsibility before God and humankind…”
- On a legal level, the German constitution and state-level constitutions all include references to man’s responsibilities before God
- “Conscious of their responsibility before God and man, (…) the German people, in the exercise of their constituent power, have adopted this Basic Law.”
- Church Tax is collected by the State – 8% of adult income tax
- A person’s religion is recorded on his birth certificate. Upon entering school, the child’s church affiliation is declared so he can attend the appropriate religion class — Lutheran or Catholic.
- In both the German Basic Law and the regional constitutions, God is called upon in the swearing-in of the respective governments. The official oath of the members of government ends with the affirmation So help me God!”.
- German political party is referred to as Christian Democrats
- “Verdigrunnlaget forblir vår kristne og humanistiske arv.” – “Our values remain from our Christian and humanist heritage…”
- “We, the representatives of the Brazilian People, … promulgate, under the protection of God, this CONSTITUTION OF THE FEDERATIVE REPUBLIC OF BRAZIL.”
- “In the name of Almighty God! The Swiss People and the Cantons (…) adopt the following Constitution”
These are the countries insisting Sri Lanka remove the place of Buddhism from its constitution. Some of these countries have hardly 300 years of history, most of these countries were created after stealing lands from the indigenous and we have a history of over 2600 years!
Co-existing with the notion of secular state is the notion of neutrality. Is neutrality possible? No person is not without bias of some form or the other. No one can be 100% neutral.
Those peddling for the secular tag are in fact using the secular slogan to promote concepts that non-secular states would find taboo…for example special status for homosexuality, gay marriage etc…while no one is stopped from being homosexual, non-secular states does not advocate open display of homosexuality but it is nothing homosexuals need to complain about since they enjoy homosexual lives privately.
No one can plug terms & concepts and expect people to comply with them. No new theories can be dropped from the sky and enforced legally forcing citizens that have been carrying centuries old customs and cultures to forget or erase. What is unfair & uncouth is that elements promoting secular changes are adopting multipronged programs to destroy cultures and value systems of countries and using the podium of media to run well-funded campaigns to claim that a country does not have any meaningful values to protect & foster and therefore the proposed secular programs should be adopted.
Therefore when groups land promoting new faiths, trying to ruin lives of children as young as 3 claiming to educate them on ‘homosexualty & lesbian’ rights, parents in Sri Lanka should not only worry but gather to refuse to allow their children to be subject to these brainwashing experiments.
Then at another end you find countries that have been more than accommodative are now up in arms against multiculturalism claiming that every rights & freedoms are being misused and abused and immigrants are not assimilating to society while they are creating ghetto areas where whites are now shunned from and have to retreat to more peaceful areas. This has given rise to fundamental Christian groups and in large measure contributed to Brexit.
We must be intelligent enough to realize that these experiments have done countries no good and a nation needs to remain linked to its ancient past, history, heritage culture, values etc. Anyone wanting to adopt foreign cultures may as well go and live in countries where those cultures are part of that countries heritage, they have no right to force them upon citizens who wish to remain tied to their roots.
Media Lies: Fabricating news in Syria and lessons for Sri Lanka – Opinion
(By: Shenali Waduge) source:
First things first, since when and by whom has the US been appointed the world’s policeman to accuse fellow nations, oust political leaders, invade nations, fire unmanned drones that kill civilians and use western media to brainwash the public into thinking that the US is saving humanity and safeguarding human rights?
After a series of manipulated staged “rebellions” in the Middle East/Africa the US and West are now in Syria and the media has been exposed for fabricating stories to advance the agenda of the US and the West.
The media in tow with Western human rights organizations declare themselves the mouthpieces of the truth being relayed to all corners of the world whenever and wherever conflicts take place. Well that is what they would like us to believe. Where are they getting their numbers from and how reliable are the figures they are quoting as if they were watching these incidents take place?
Since we are not too far off from Sri Lanka’s own experience we can empathize with the situation in Syria. We know how numbers from “anonymous” groups were used to demonize a Government! Ironically the actions of the West made local leaders into bigger heroes particularly because people began to read through the Western designs. The sources favored by the West end up becoming publicized globally by mainstream media and becomes accepted as “factual evidence” quoted and used to question politicians by the West, foreign think tanks, international humanitarian organizations and even the UN. Funnily enough non-elected bodies become “democratic movements” and pagans of virtue. They can shoot, they can kill but it is only when the Government defends which is within its right that the West shouts foul play.
Such was the case with the report of deaths in Homs and the public are often misguided on what to believe. Such was also the case with the civilian deaths quoted by these sources that are being used against the Sri Lankan Government without any proof. There is a difference in “reportedly been killed” or “reported deaths” – yet the fanfare associated with the media coverage of the killing aims at laying the blame at the Syrian forces – and objective is thus achieved. Mainstream media completely ignores the truth or rather is not interested in the truth because the truth is an obstacle to their agenda.
Then the UN takes over by giving their estimate of deaths which actually is from the same source! Incidentally in the case of Syria, the source happens to be the Local Coordination Committee which has been organizing most of the protests across Syria. Sounds like our own set of local NGOs who became the source in Sri Lanka. Most often dissidents are encouraged and even financed by the West. We can but recall just one incident wherein the Sri Lankan military targeted an LTTE training center in the middle of the Vanni jungles and the entire world including the UN came down on Sri Lanka accepting LTTE’s position that it was an orphanage! LTTE – child soldiers – orphanage in the jungle…. just does not make sense!
It is not just the West that is conniving to topple Syria. Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Qatar are all chipping in. They have even openly supplied arms and ammunition to these rebels. There are foreign forces inside Syria, just like how they landed in Libya to topple the Gaddafi government. Along with NATO they destroyed civilian infrastructure and used media to project to us that Libyans rebels had to be given the credit!
Yet in all the countries that have seen an Arab Spring the people are beginning to realize they have been given an Arab winter….reign of Muslim Brotherhood means absolutely no freedom for Muslim women and the establishment of Islamic fundamentalism and Shariah laws. Is this better than ousting a “dictator”?
The impression CNN, BBC and other mainstream media enjoy projecting is a country burning apart – buildings in ruins, dead bodies everywhere, state security on the rampage….but unbiased visitors to Syria have found out that the scenario was nothing like what was being relayed. How can a few visitors counter what mainstream media powerfully relays? The trend is to cook up story after story to justify unlawful military attacks. What country would not take action to defend itself against extremist actions especially when they are being armed from overseas?
Now the next logical question is that after over a year why has President Assad not been defeated if he was so abhorred by his people and prefer the rebels instead especially when the West and media in particular are giving its fullest support to the rebels even going so far as to arm and train them? What is clear is that while all the people of Syria may not love Assad they certainly do not hate him or prefer the rebels any better. Where does that leave the West in their gameplan to get rid of Assad or for that matter President Rajapakse?
The plan to take over Syria was contrived years ago – the rebellion was just a whitewash to facilitate the entry of the West. The Kofi-Annan 6 point peace plan was written by US meant as a ploy to buy time to set the situation for attacks. We know the UN statements thereafter…with UN Secretary General “disturbed” by the violations by Assad’s forces and harassment to opposition. We can only recall how Sri Lanka was treated in the final months of the conflict.
Western media has confirmed that UK/CIA/M16 training anti-Assad western backed insurgents even supplying them with arms and ammunition and equipment. How can we accept that the Syrian uprising was a natural one against the Syrian Government? Moreover what credibility do these insurgents have when special forces from the West are on the ground assisting them to topple Syria’s Government? Not a word is said by any of the mainstream media to question why western governments should be helping insurgents who they had trained to actually start the rebellion in the first place.
To expose how unfair mainstream media has been in their reporting of Syria a few examples need to be looked at. The fabrications and lies are too long to list out. Just youtube to see the stories that would take you step by step showcasing the lies told by CNN, BBC, French news and practically all western mainstream media while the West expels Syrian diplomats for crimes committed by the West!
Reuters had to apologize for relaying false images on Syria – the images were from Lebanon. Similarly Al Jazeera ran a story on an incident that took place in Al Baida Village, Syria whereas in reality the video was taken in Iraq in the 1990s.
* All international media ran, “Massacre of the children as Syrian forces hit rebels”. The BBC used a 2003 photo taken in Iraq to illustrate the massacre in Houla, Syria. – http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=20039
* Girl supposedly attacked by Syrian troops turns out to be a girl beaten up in UK – http://www.sott.net/articles/show/242492-More-media-lies-Girl-beaten-by-Syrian-forces-story-exposed
* The CNN lies exposed – http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7f9_1334141593&comments=1 – The lies of Danny
Returning to Sri Lanka, it is because of these hypocrisies in Western attitude, western actions and western strategies that we do not trust a single proposal, suggestion or welcome any teams on the basis of humanitarian assistance or technical expertise.
We have seen how the West has used their military might, made a puppet of the UN, carry out illegal invasions and how Western owned media have facilitated in fabricating, manipulating and totally deceiving the global public. Can they deny any of these accusations?
Now can the West blame us for doubting their actions or doubt what the mainstream media relays when they have proved beyond doubt that they cannot be trusted?
-The Ministry of Defence bears no responsibility for the ideas and opinion expressed by the numerous contributors to the “Opinion Page” of this web site-